Published in artsHub:
The only festival in the country solely dedicated to performances of baroque music, the 2014 program showcases artists and musicians from countries such as Finland, Spain, UK, and Russia, as well as present young emerging talent from Australia.
The new program consists of a staged performance of Handel’s masterpiece Orlando, sonata performances by keyboard virtuosos Erin Helyard and Donald Nicolson, and marks the return of Helsinki-born cellist Timo-Veikko Valve and Melbourne ensemble Latitude 37 in their performances of Bach, Handel and other musical contemporaries. Barcelona-born countertenor Xavier Sabata will also make his Australian debut as he performs alongside the Orchestra of the Antipodes.
Executive director Jarrod Carland said he was thoroughly impressed with the positive response he received from critics and the public alike during the festival’s first launch in April this year, and hopes that the 2014 program will provide another round of critical acclaim.
‘With our second annual festival, Hobart Baroque consolidates its position as yet another innovative cultural event particular to Tasmania,’ he said.
‘Hobart is in many ways the perfect city for a highly focussed festival of this nature.’
A major highlight of the new program is the appearance of Russian soprano Julia Lezhneva,, who will come down to Australia for the first time as she performs an exclusive concert with the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra. Considered a phenomenon in the opera world, she had won the Grand Prix at the 6th International Competition for Opera Singers at just the age of seventeen, and has since then been touted as the next Cecilia Bartoli.
The festival will run from Friday 28 March – Saturday 5 April 2014.
Image: Julia Lezhneva